Thursday, April 14, 2011

The musician Kevin Johansen: "Reggaeton is not new, and played at Jewish holidays"

Theirs is to confuse the genres and Ring with word games. Kevin Johansen, the inventor of the intellectual cumbia, the subtropical or rumbita amilongada (or milonga collapsed, says the musician) presents these days the songs on her album Live in Buenos Aires in Spain. Born in Alaska, U.S. and Argentina's son and living in Buenos Aires, is defined as an eclectic writer and a "de-generated." They say he has a record of changes.

With roots in many places, where the seeds grow? The Irish say that home is where you hang your hat. Mine, for 11 years, is in Buenos Aires, the same city where I lived my childhood and where I fell for the first time and took the first important decisions. Childhood spent in different parts of the United States: Arizona, California, Colorado ...

and there are cities like New York where I still feel like home. What all these places he scored more musically? I have influences from both North and South. I was fortunate that my mother was a great music lover and home was always a country album, tango and, of course, The Beatles, Joan Baez or Bob Dylan.

They call it 'louse' and 'de-generated', but no seems to care. The first is for my physical resemblance to the Argentine soccer player Claudio Lopez louse. The second is related to being open to all kinds of music and to listen to abandon prejudices. There are styles you today may sound cheesy and one day, suddenly, they start blowing well.

I love learning new genres. And I'm a good student. Even the reggaeton, that when any of his colleagues did not look with favor ... I have a battery of 70 years when I asked a rhythm of reggaeton laughed and said: "This was played for years on the Jewish holidays." On reality, few things are new.

The music is being created and recreated. As for prejudice to certain sounds, music is not their fault. The difference is that I'm right or misinterpreted. What is the best fusion gives? I have rooted the tango, milonga, American folk ... in fact, they are all distant cousins or closer.

Also I ever played flamenco cumbia (instead of rumba flamenco). And instead of folklore, have made popklore. These are sets of words having to do with the brotherhood of genres. The music never asked no visa or passport. "None of his creations rhymes with flamenco? I love flamenco, but it gives me great respect.

The rumba flamenca bankruptcy, change, is very complicated. However, if I dared to interpret the last album with Kiko Veneno: Since you lost. I always say I do not know if this is a rumba or a milonga amilongada collapsed. Awarded him the creation of intellectual cumbia. The idea came when I returned to Argentina in 2000, after ten years in New York.

I realized I had spent the cumbia music being frowned upon by the middle class to be an accepted even by college girls, who danced with boys with little education cumberos tracks. That inspired me to write a song about a girl and a boy dick dancing cumbia uneducated as she speaks of Philosophy.

It was a cultural comment with irony, but was highly successful. Today cumberos intellectuals have increased in Argentina. They have also hung the tag of 'sub'. This is a tribute to the parents of tropicalia, the Brazilian generation formed by Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil ... I am the son of that generation of parents rebels.

Paradoxically, if one rebels against a rebel father, is conservative. Our parents put us very difficult to rebellion. Belong to a period in which to sing for freedom meant prison or exile, as happened to Victor Jara, death. In our generation the protest songs are different, individual freedoms are claimed, and not lead to prison.

He has collaborated with Spanish and Kiko Veneno, Amparanoia, Albert Pla ... what has in common with them? A affinity aesthetic delight in telling stories. In fact, we are storytellers. We have not invented gunpowder, but the mixture of styles is considered innovative. In my case, I'm a traditional singer, I like the plots with beginning, middle and end.

Kiko Veneno has a unique hoarseness. Albert Pla, is a genius, but his great timidity continually pushes him to self-flagellation and doubt his talent. What is most interesting is happening in the world of music? Whenever things are cooked. "My findings? I like Bomba Estereo of Colombia and, for example, Devendra Banhart.

No comments:

Post a Comment